After your LLC or Corporation is formed, and you have obtained the entity’s EIN, you should apply for a DUNS (or D-U-N-S) Number from D&B (Dun & Bradstreet). This unique nine digit number is free but important for establishing the credit of the business and for applying for government contracts. In fact, before you can even bid on government proposals, your entity will need to obtain a D-U-N-S Number. NOTE: If you have multiple physical locations, you would obtain one for each location of your business.
A D-U-N-S Number is free for all businesses and again it is required to register with the federal government for contracts or grants.
01 What do I need to get my D-U-N-S Number?
When registering for your D-U-N-S Number, you will need the following on hand:
– Legal name – Your entity name or personal name if you are a sole proprietorship
– Headquarters name and address for your business
– Doing Business As (DBA) or other name by which your business is commonly recognized
– Physical address, city, state and ZIP Code
– Mailing address (if separate from headquarters and/or physical address)
– Telephone number
– Contact name and title
– Number of employees at your physical location
– Whether or not you are a Home Based Business
02 How do I get my D-U-N-S Number?
Getting a D-U-N-S Number truly is easy. Simply go here to obtain more detailed instructions on applying for your D-U-N-S Number